Power Yoga for Gym: A Mat Based Yoga & Mindfulness Program
This program is designed specifically for athletic directors and physical education teachers interested in incorporating yoga into their gym curriculum.
What is covered:
1. Foundations of Power Yoga for Teachers
– guided practices to help build a personal practice on the mat
– philosophy and definition of power yoga
– the study of the Yamas and Niyamas (ethical principles of yoga) to help build a personal practice off the mat
2. Teaching Power Yoga in Gym Class
– basic alignment of yoga poses
– mindfulness practices that can be applied on the mat and in life
– class themes and focuses
– learn to teach:
- 10-minute yoga warm-up for gym class
- 10-minute yoga cool down for gym class
- 20, 30 and 45-minute yoga sequence for gym class
Benefits and Objectives:
– develop body awareness
– enhance physical flexibility
– improve physical balance and coordination
– increase confidence and positive self-image
– develop mindfulness to bring more awareness to how actions/reactions determine outcomes
– improved self-awareness of thoughts, emotions, and causes for behaviors
– a non-competitive atmosphere that promotes inclusivity
– improved empathy and compassion, for self and others
– reduced stress, burnout, depression and anxiety
– better sleep quality
– develop a personal practice that will support and lay a strong foundation to teach yoga
– develop skills to confidently lead yoga practices for grades 5-12
-This is a 24-hour program. Schedule will be determined based on individual needs. It is recommended either 12 2-hour sessions or 8 3-hour sessions to be spread out over a few months.
The cost covers training for 3 participants.
Along with the training sessions, included in the cost are a training manual, the book Journey into Power, and a deck of mindfulness cards for each participant.
The training manual will contain:
– notes on all philosophy discussions
– a clear description of alignment for each pose
– class plans for:
10-minute yoga warm-up for gym class
10-minute yoga cool down for gym class
20, 30 and 45-minute yoga sequence for gym class
Payment is required in advance.
If you are interested in training your staff, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.